Re: Exclude nodes from certain countries

     On  Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:30:58 -0400 misc <misc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:20:16 -0400, Ringo Kamens wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK tor connects to an entry guard which then connects to the exit
>> node for you. This way, they can't take the logs from the exit node
>> and go "well.. the IP in question connected to you 20 seconds before
>> the alleged connection was made, so that's who it probably was". This
>> should be all explained in the docs somewhere.
>> Comrade Ringo Kamens
>
>But if I click on "network map" in Vidalia I see various Exit Nodes there.
>So obviously Tor knows about them.
>
>Also, to determine if a node is an entry or exit node, Tor has to exchange
>some sort of traffic with it, right? Since there is no centralized place
>where Tor can get a list of all entry nodes, wouldn't it have to poll all
>the nodes to determine their status?

     Please read the tor documentation.  If you think you've already done
that, please go back and read it again.  Once you understand the functions
of the directory authorities and the directory mirrors, take a few minutes
to browse through the files that tor maintains on your computer.  Note
especially the contents of the files named cached-routers and
cached-routers.new, and also the status document files in the cached-status/
subdirectory.  All should be clear to you after you do those basic things.
     Note that this is a user safety issue:  one should *not* use tor
without having gained first a minimal understanding of what tor is doing
and what it is not doing.  Without that understanding, a user is in grave
danger of assuming his/her anonymmity is being maintained when, in fact,
it may not be.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG