Re: OnionCat 0.1.9 now supports IPv4

On Monday 15 September 2008, Sven Anderson wrote:
> Am 15.09.2008 um 16:16 schrieb Bernhard Fischer:
> > We have a new version of OnionCat ready which is now capable of
> > IPv4-forwarding.
> >
> > Read http://www.abenteuerland.at/onioncat/ for further instructions
> > on how to
> > use OnionCat and IP.
>
> Does it really work in an acceptable way? I ask because "TCP Over TCP
> Is A Bad Idea"[1]. I would expect it to have an awful performance.
>
> [1] http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
>

> Regards,
>
> Sven

What somebody would define as "acceptable" may be different but basically your
concern about it is right.

TCP over TCP is an issue which has some kind of "rubber-band" effects on the
packet transmission but that's a problem that share all kinds of VPNs.
Hopefully TOR will work with UDP eventually because in respect to performance
this would give lower latencies in my opinion and would also make OnionCat
more powerful.

Specifically with TOR and OnionCat the rubber-band effect can even be observed
when sending pings over OnionCat (and that's ICMP over TCP ;).
I'm not sure but I think that's because of the numerous concatenated TCP
sessions that TOR circuits are built of.

But the real biggest problem currently is the bad performance of hidden
services in general which overlays all other difficulties.

The advantage of OnionCat is its IP-transparency and together with TOR it is
location hidden. If someone wants or needs to use hidden services he will
also use OnionCat, there's not really a difference in performace.

Bernhard