Re: OnionCat 0.1.9 now supports IPv4

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
On Monday 15 September 2008, Sven Anderson wrote:
Am 15.09.2008 um 16:16 schrieb Bernhard Fischer:
We have a new version of OnionCat ready which is now capable of
IPv4-forwarding.

Read http://www.abenteuerland.at/onioncat/ for further instructions
on how to
use OnionCat and IP.
Does it really work in an acceptable way? I ask because "TCP Over TCP
Is A Bad Idea"[1]. I would expect it to have an awful performance.

[1] http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

Regards,

Sven

What somebody would define as "acceptable" may be different but basically your concern about it is right.

TCP over TCP is an issue which has some kind of "rubber-band" effects on the packet transmission but that's a problem that share all kinds of VPNs. Hopefully TOR will work with UDP eventually because in respect to performance this would give lower latencies in my opinion and would also make OnionCat more powerful.

Specifically with TOR and OnionCat the rubber-band effect can even be observed when sending pings over OnionCat (and that's ICMP over TCP ;). I'm not sure but I think that's because of the numerous concatenated TCP sessions that TOR circuits are built of.

But the real biggest problem currently is the bad performance of hidden services in general which overlays all other difficulties.

The advantage of OnionCat is its IP-transparency and together with TOR it is location hidden. If someone wants or needs to use hidden services he will also use OnionCat, there's not really a difference in performace.

Bernhard

Is there a performance difference between IPv4 and IPv6 (TCP over TCP)? I'd presume none; and I'd also presume that a UDP vpn would work fine.

(Thanks for developing OnionCat!)