Re: [tor-talk] Leave Your Cellphone at Home

On 2012-09-05, at 6:16 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> http://nplusonemag.com/leave-your-cellphone-at-home
>
> Sarah Resnick
>
> Leave Your Cellphone at Home
>
> Interview with Jacob Appelbaum
>
> From OCCUPY Gazette 4, out May 1.

Very interesting read.

I'm not sure I buy the theories for the new data centre. Drive capacity
has increased on the same order of magnitude as Internet traffic, [1,2]
so I doubt the increase in traffic from current targets is the reason
for it. I also doubt extending the surveilled set by 5% to include the
US is the reason.

Besides, according to the whistleblowers, everything that's attributed
to it has been going on for a long time. Unless there's concrete evidence
I haven't heard of, I tend to believe it actually is for "cybersecurity",
specifically the insider threat. These agencies monitor their own people
(and soon-to-be corporate partners) far more than the public.

On that note, apparently there's half a dozen versions of HR 3523 around,
and NSA versus DHS (aka "the happy face") is an artificial distinction,
meant to appease. [3]

Anyway, I think cryptography will depend more and more on steganography
-- and in the case of Tor, covert/subliminal channels. Imagine a protocol
where Alice sends Bob a steady stream of garbage, and the message is
encoded in the inter-packet timing noise. ;)

[1] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Hard_drive_capacity_over_time.svg
[2] http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980405.html
[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40Qx9kVPoY#t=29m20s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40Qx9kVPoY#t=50m