Re: [tor-talk] Leave Your Cellphone at Home

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 01:56, Mansour Moufid wrote:
> Anyway, I think cryptography will depend more and more on steganography
> -- and in the case of Tor, covert/subliminal channels. Imagine a protocol
> where Alice sends Bob a steady stream of garbage, and the message is
> encoded in the inter-packet timing noise. ;)

Actually, this kind of run is taking SciFi turns.

In real life the act of comunication, simply connecting with someone
else is more important than the message. Whatever you wish to call the
adversary Alice and Bob are hiding from is more interested of the fact
that Alice needs to connect with Bob than what the hell are they talking
about. Encryption, reading between the lines, a rudimentary code that
makes My grandma feels better into We go as planned, they are all to be
established after subject interrogation. What they need is the web.
Facebook if you prefer. Because we have established that we are tracking
Alice or Bob. And we need the whole network.

The stupidity of most of the books I have read on this theme stands
around the concept of Truth. These organisations DO NOT care about
whatever sense an outsider would place with the word truth. They might
go for such truths as justifying their wages, pleasing a half mad boss,
and so on. Many are connected with the propaganda machine. And quite
often wars are waged among competing services. Think of a treasure hunt,
the silly Easter Egg hunt for children executed by grown men trained to
torture.