Re: PakFiles & Portability

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> Yep. Version info, endianness info, native int size info. You can liberally
> mix Pak files generated by bigendian-64bit, littleendian-32bit and
> littleendian-64bit systems without having to care.
> (Well, of course the formats of the files stored in the Pak files have to
> be able to handle that)

But I assume a PAK file uses a "cannonical" endianness and int size regardlessof
the system it was created on.  I mean you have already said in size is 64 bits,
and I assume endianness is always little.

This complicates _writing_, but simplifies _reading_ because you only have to
worry
about one format.   Since writing will be a one shot job done with a packing
utility
this is not a problem.  But reading will have to be handled at runtime by the game
(well,
PPlay actually, but why make life hard on ourselves when we don't have to?).