Re: PenguinPlay and 3d

Sorry for putting this on the main list,  I am having a little bit
of trouble with the graphics mailinglist (I have a sneaking suspicion
that I am not subscribed!)

Christian Fleischer wrote:

> Hello Adrian!
>
> I´m just now browsing the page about PenguinPlay and 3d. You wrote
> there, that you only have vague ideas about the 3d interface.
> I have written a software-only 3d-engine that might help here. Still it
> runs under DOS, but I think it is not very hard to write a Linux port
> there. It´s almost completely in C (except some critical routines) and
> has only a few I/O-routines that needed to de adapted. You can take a
> look at it under http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~daydream/engine/main.htm
> Maybe it is not good enough for the project, but maybe I could help
> somehow. Maybe I could rewrite the engine in a way, that people who use
> PenguinPlay could optionally use my renderer, if they wanted. Do you
> have any idea about the 3d-interface?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Christian

The big thing  I want to see is a _discussion_ about 3d, before we
committo anyting specific.  So far all we know about our goals are this:
    *   OpenGL will be the base of the graphics system.
    *   We will have an OO layer above it.   (We have no idea what that
layer will be like).
    *   We _might_ have a thin low level thing to use instead of OpenGL in
the software only case,
          maybe a gind of mini-Mesa, maybe something completely
different.  This does not make
          sense if software  only Mesa is quick enough.    I am not up to
date enough with Mesa to know
          how well it is going to be optimized.