Interested in helping, but need help getting started

Hello, my name is Hunter Thomas. I am a student (I bet you get alot of
us), and I am instested in joining the penguinplay effort, first because
I want to be able to use it to write games, second becuse I want to know
how it works so I can write genre specific plug-ins (like a squaresoft
type RPG extention, if it's needed), and, so that I can get some
practical, hands on, C++ coding experience. Mostly what I know I've
taught myself from the O'Reilly book 'Practicle C++ Programing', so my
practicle applications of what I've done are sparce. Can anyone help me
get started? I am not affraid to just read docs, I don't expect one on
one hand holding or anything. I was just wondering if anyone could point
me in the right direction. I am really excited that a project like this
exists, and will do my best to help it evolve.