Re: Why PakFiles?

Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:

>I'm wondering. Why are you creating your own archive format? Crystal Space
>uses simple ZIP archive files (even compressed) for reading/writing level data.
>Why not use a standard instead of a custom format?

The problem with a standard format is that it has been designed for
different uses, e.g. data archival. Games do not need sophisticated data
recovery features or having all files compressed, or user/group info for
each file etc but instead fast access, version/target control (i.e. is the
PakFile for the right Game and game version?) etc.
So a custom format can fit the needs of games much better than a generic
one.
Standard formats are also not easily extensible.

Cu
	Christian
--

I am Yeti of Borg - U will b asssmsh...  assishe... as