Re: file access library

s369625@student.uq.edu.au wrote:

>Actually I finally managed to get the whole system working (except pine in
>unsuable).

Pine has an *unsuable* mode?? Sounds like a special feature for flamers and
spammers ;)

>  It's just that I am currently using my MTA queue as an OUTBOX
>so I can answer mail offline (hence my recently slow replies).

I'm doing the same thing here. smail is configured to try sending them mail
every 4 minutes and if I'm just online for a very short time I invoke that
with "runq"

>>>a reason.  The bottom line is that decisions about what to keep cached and
>>>what not to keep cached are best made by the kernel.

>RE OS'es:  Well I would trust the other unices too.  But you are right, I
>don't trust '95 (NT _might_ be OK).  If we design the interface properly

NT is not Ok. really. it uses only 20-25MB for file system cache while 50mb
RAM lie around unused. not very efficient. And AFAIK you can switch NT to
"file server" mode - where it also uses swap space as FS cache :((

Cu
	Christian
--

Shut Windows and Close Gates...