Re: [pygame] pygame and Ubuntu

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:38:33PM -0400, Jason Coggins wrote:
> I am trying to run them from the desktop by double clicking on them then
> selecting either run or run in terminal from the box that pops up.  I tried
> right clicking on the program to select "open with python" but that was not
> an option.  When I right clicked and selected "open with another
> application" python was not listed on the application list.  I know I have
> python 2.5 installed because it states so on the synamtic package manager.
>
> Jason

I have had a lot of problems with this too. The problem is that most
pygame games assume that that the current working directory has been set
to the directory where the .py file is located. But when you
double-click and pick "run" or right-click and pick "open with python",
the current working directory does NOT get set, and the game cannot find
its data files.

What I do for my own games is something similar to this:

  import os
  import sys
  os.chdir(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0]))

That makes sure that the data files will always be found where you
expect them.

---
James Paige