Re: [pygame] python game hosting idea - feedback please

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Joey Marshall wrote:
> What I was thinking was a sf like site specifically targeted towards
> python games.

I've had a similar ideas proposed to me before by a few people - not so much
about the project hosting but more towards a less-pygame-specific site for
discussion and community.

> The site would provide basic tools for hosting projects
> and giving some space for a website. I was also talking to Phil about
> integrating releases with pygame's site (for pygame games anyway).

Integrating with pyweek could also be cool :)

> I want opinion on if you think this would be useful or not and worth
> the time and effort it would take.

Also putting up a general python game programming forum might be a good idea
too. And perhaps a more open & powerful wiki than the pygame.org one. And a
news blog thing perhaps too.

The nice thing about those components is you can just grab phpbb, mediawiki,
gallery, wordpress and plug them all together (like sooo many other sites --
see for example www.eeeuser.com for this kind of thing). The trick is to get
single sign-on working...

http://gallery.menalto.com/node/49488
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2007-October/015815.html

The project hosting stuff might need to be a fresh development, though
obviously Phil has done a pretty amazing job on the code running on
pygame.org and that could hopefully be reused!

     Richard