Re: [pygame] python game hosting idea - feedback please

Thanks for your input Richard.

On Feb 16, 2008 8:12 PM, Richard Jones <richardjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Joey Marshall wrote:
> > What I was thinking was a sf like site specifically targeted towards
> > python games.
>
> I've had a similar ideas proposed to me before by a few people - not so much
> about the project hosting but more towards a less-pygame-specific site for
> discussion and community.

I was thinking also maybe making a community type portal out of it
too. But I figured a project hosting site would gather more interest.
No reason not to try and have both aspects.

> > The site would provide basic tools for hosting projects
> > and giving some space for a website. I was also talking to Phil about
> > integrating releases with pygame's site (for pygame games anyway).
>
> Integrating with pyweek could also be cool :)

That would be. Shouldn't be overly difficult. Do you have anything in mind?

> > I want opinion on if you think this would be useful or not and worth
> > the time and effort it would take.
>
> Also putting up a general python game programming forum might be a good idea
> too. And perhaps a more open & powerful wiki than the pygame.org one. And a
> news blog thing perhaps too.
>
> The nice thing about those components is you can just grab phpbb, mediawiki,
> gallery, wordpress and plug them all together (like sooo many other sites --
> see for example www.eeeuser.com for this kind of thing). The trick is to get
> single sign-on working...

Matthew (stated to me that he would be interested in helping) and I
aren't exactly new to web development. We would most likely grab some
other django modules for the wiki and blog stuff and build from there.

I personally find it much easier to code everything anew then trying
to get to know other peoples' code when it is in a language like php.

I tried working with wordpress once but quickly remembered why I
dumped php for python in the web development world.

(no offense to php, it has it's place)