Re: [pygame] Python versions

Michael Robin wrote:

> Also, do you guys install pygame (and other modules) under your current
> Python install dir (E.g., C:\Python21 on windows) or in a generic,
> version-independent dir? As some modules depend on the python version,
> it's not clear to me which is the best sol'n.

I couldn't get pygame (1.0) to work from the source installation in a
separate directory.  I had to use the installer which put itself inside
my Python directory.  Curiously even as it is now if I run Python from
its directory and then try to import pygame I get this:

> Wed 07-25-2001 19:46:50.68, Path: E:\Python21 -- python
> Python 2.1 (#15, Apr 16 2001, 18:25:49) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "E:\Python21\pygame\__init__.py", line 27, in ?
>     from pygame.base import *
> ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run
> this application cannot be found.

I've never looked into why these problems occur because I don't really
need the source and I never use pygame from the Python directory.