Re: [pygame] using opengl in pygame?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jasper Phillips wrote:
>
> >For networking I use Twisted, which works nicely.  I've stumbled across a
> >couple of bugs, but it's good stuff.  Certainly worlds better than socket
> >programming!
>
> I had a look at Twisted a few years ago when thinking about what to use,
> but at least back then it was an undocumented mess. I still think the
> documentation is severely lacking.  A Python library that has "use the
> source, Luke!" type of documentation isn't worth looking at.

I actually think the documentation is fairly good for a complex and evolving
project, and an open source one to boot.  None of the LGPL libraries I'm
using have better docs.

> I also didn't like the way one had to go the full Twisted way and give it
> full control over the application loop, but that is hopefully just FUD
> nowadays.

I absolutely disagree here.

The alternative is some sort of polling and/or threaded solution, which IMHO
would be a grave mistake.  Their event driven model is much cleaner and more
scalable, even though it requires an outer application loop.  Moreover you
can easily insert anything you like into this loop (or time slice it into
your own loop), so IMHO there is no drawback to this; e.g. it only took me 4
lines of completely isolated code -- equivalent to writing my own loop.
Well worth the payoff.

Besides, what other alternative is there?  Python's socket module?!

-Jasper