Re: [pygame] pygamezero moving to github discussion thread

I'm not sure if we should move it right now. I think so. I guess it'd be a bit of work updating the build tools. But already many of them work off the github mirror(s). The main work is filling in the member name translations (but I think I could do that in an hour or so).

Yeah, let's all shed a tear for the monoculture. But I don't see bitbucket/Atlassian, or gitlab going away anytime soon. But if it makes things a tiny bit easier for contributors, I'm ok with that. I've wasted time explaining hg, and bitbucket so many times to people already.

I think making it easier for people to publish commercial games will be good for everyone using pygame. Currently Apple prevents people doing that with LGPL. Otherwise I don't really care. I'm pretty sure most people would be happy with a license like what SDL moved to (zlib). But haven't explicitly asked everyone if they are apposed to zlib. Also, I don't know if there is a foundation that would be willing to take it. Perhaps PSF, Raspberrypi, or Kivy foundations are all options to ask. Just re-licensing, and keeping the copyrights as is, is also an option.

Why not a ctypes/runtime binded way? The main issue with ctypes, is again Apple, but also emscripten/asmjs/webassembly.

Why pygame using SDL2 patches by Lennard? Good question, I'm not sure which is the better way myself. This would allow us to gradually improve things, and reuse much of our existing code. To introduce new APIs where needed, and keep the old ones where they are. Doing big changes can be risky. pygame_sdl2 will require quite a bit of backwards compatibility work... who will do that work? Was the only reason for pygame_sdl2 to avoid the LGPL? Does it still make sense with a zlib pygame? What other benefits does pygame_sdl2 provide?

I'd really be interested to know from Tom and Lennard what they think. It doesn't sound like Tom is interested in working so much on backwards compatibility. But also, Lennard mentioned quite some time ago that pygame_sdl2 could be a way forward.

The main benefit of a foundation (if we don't need to run it!) is that donations, grants and such are much easier to deal with. Whilst dealing with GSoc and other grants things was something I was happy to be involved with it was a lot of admin, for something which can be more easily shared in a larger organisation (like for example the PSF).

For now, my own main pygame priorities are:
Finally I'd like to highlight some of cool bits in pygame 1.9.3. There's some pretty major pieces in there, that I don't know so many people know about.

I think it would be pretty good if pygame zero, pygame2, and pygame 1.9 were on github in the same organization. Also if we decided on a way forward (with pygame_sdl2 or however) for pygame2. It feels like there's a bit of momentum now with pygame, and getting the projects together will only increase the excitement further. But more importantly it will let us share our limited resources in a much better way.

cheers,