Re: [schoolforge] Thank you and agenda items

Hi David, hello everybody

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, David Bucknell wrote:

> I'd also like to thank William and Doug for doing most of the press
> release work and for all the translators, whover you are. You have added a
> great deal of credibility to the project.

I only didn't put up the Turkish and Chinese translations because they
were full of characters I couldn't handle properly. Turkish was hard to
read, Chinese looked like a binary of emacs to me.

> Obviously, one unfortunate thing is that schoolforge was not picked up by
> slashdot but that's a lesson for us. Despite lots of planning, we managed
> to overlook

I've ran analog (web log analyzer) on schoolforge, results at

http://moria.seul.org/~bergo/sf.html

> *We should add the OSI (http://www.opensource.org) to the resource list --
> especially since we've got the FSF (http://www.gnu.org) there already.

I'll add it somewhen along today.

> *I still think we should have a contact form, not just a mailto link; the
> link is strange to me as I thought Felipe wanted to avoid spam; moreover,
> a form is IMHO _much_ friendlier and more efficient.

you convinced me about the mailto: link. I still think that the people on
the organizations we want to grab under our umbrella are perfectly capable
of writing a piece of email expressing their intentions and doubts without
the need of a form. And mail clients provide better text editing than web
form controls. But again, I'll put up whatever you members decide to.

> *I know it should wait until there are more content revisions, but I was
> so impressed by the power of the multilingual press releases, that I hope
> we will soon
> have the site in multiple languages. Of course, down the road, this could
> mean considering mirror sites.

We should wait a little. Keeping all translations coherent is a pain
unless one of us speaks all the languages to which we translate.

> *Should this discussion be taking place on the seul-edu list instead,
> except for voting?

I believe the place for "translate/don't translate", text revisions,
layout decisions is this list (schoolforge-core).

> *Software project hosting
> You may remember my fixation on the sourceforge.net software. I think we
> are missing an opportunity by not moving all hosting of educational apps
> to schoolforge. It's what people expect.

> *Curriculum/course project hosting
> Likewise, you may remember my complaints and then submission to the wiki
> as a course/curriculum building instrument. I do think that wiki (which
> won't work from behind most MS-enabled-disabled firewalls because they
> strangely disable 8080 ports as well as ssl) is useful, and it may be the
> way, but I'm still stuck on setting up a matrix of common school format
> and then asking people to set up projects to build opencontent parts, such
> as geometry 1 for average high/secondary level students, or English for
> 7th graders/year 8's/13 year olds. In fact, I'm building it now. If you're
> interested, let me know.

My current take is that these belong in the members organizations, not
schoolforge itself.

Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo - Free Software Developer (bergo@seul.org)
GPG/PGP mail welcome - GPG/PGP Key: EF8EE808 (keyserver pgp.mit.edu)
http://www.advogato.org/person/khazad - Brasilia - DF - Brazil - Earth

* Any sufficiently advanced OS is indistinguishable from Linux.