Re: [school-core] Affero's concept

Affero is providing a service to allow people that don't necessarily know how
to program, a method to participate in the free/open source community.

We would like to do something similar: we want to give people the tools to
market their free/open source products at http://www.edvisor.org. So, if
someone didn't necessarily have programming skills, they might have artistic
skills to create banners, text, and other graphics to help attract users to a
product.

In fact, I've talked to Chris Reed at Affero about combining these free ads
with their donation service. This would open the path to possibly more people
being exposed to educational free software, and allowing more people to
participate in the community.

If Schoolforge does embrace links from Affero, or ads from Edvisor.org, then
there are some issues that could come up: what happens if another company
comes around with a donation method, or an ad server? How will Schoolforge
decide which company to "do business" with? Share? Lowest bidder?

These points bring up the sticky business of doing business. One might want to
avoid these kinds of issues by rejecting money and support for individual
for-profit businesses altogether. But, if Schoolforge accepts the challenge of
dealing with these issues, it could truly help advance the cause.

I hope Schoolforge can come up with a policy, and I hope more opportunities
are explored to allow people other than programmers to participate in the
community.

-Doug Blank

--
Douglas S. Blank,       Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,          (610)526-6501