[school-core] Schoolforge Locals/Conference

Dear Schoolforge Member Representatives,

I have two ideas and, rough as they are, I need to know if anyone is for or
against them, so I'm sending them to the members' list. Please read and comment:

Schoolforge organization: We need a t-shirt.

First, I've been thinking that schoolforge groups could be formed in LUGS or
instead of LUGS in some cases and, that rather than forming more and more new
school or ed-oriented groups, we could encourage the formation of schoolforge
chapters which would be clearing houses of talent and information, for free and
for hire. There would never be a shortage of people who wanted to go their own
way, but I think Schoolforge is looking more and more like a candidate for a
local club with global resources. If nothing else, we might get a t-shirt design
out of this, but I suspect we could do even better than that.

Schoolforge workshop/conference: spreading the word, networking with the clueful.

Secondly, I was thinking we could run local Schoolforge workshops or
conferences. We would share materials, presentations, and ideas. For instance, I
have gotten the school at which I am currently working to join Schoolforge and
have convinced them that we should host a workshop/conference in June. I'd like
your suggestions on how to make it doable, better, and would like to invite you
all to Thailand in June to make it a success. Yes, you can stay with me and my
family ;-) as long as the floor space holds out.

Anyone interested in running a five day workshop in the following are invited to
contact me:

sys admin
teaching with open source tools
high school computer science using open source tools and languages
open source for school administrators

Here's the draft conference announcement:
http://opensourceschools.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20030303060148945

Any suggestions for improving focus and or content would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

David

--