[school-core] Schoolforge Locals/Conference

Dear Schoolforge Member Representatives,

I have two ideas and, rough as they are, I need to know if anyone is for or
against them, so I'm sending them to the members' list. Please read and comment:

Schoolforge organization: We need a t-shirt.

First, I've been thinking that schoolforge groups could be formed in LUGS or
instead of LUGS in some cases and, that rather than forming more and more new
school or ed-oriented groups, we could encourage the formation of schoolforge
chapters which would be clearing houses of talent and information, for free and
for hire. There would never be a shortage of people who wanted to go their own
way, but I think Schoolforge is looking more and more like a candidate for a
local club with global resources. If nothing else, we might get a t-shirt design
out of this, but I suspect we could do even better than that.

Schoolforge workshop/conference: spreading the word, networking with the clueful.

Secondly, I was thinking we could run local Schoolforge workshops or
conferences. We would share materials, presentations, and ideas. For instance, I
have gotten the school at which I am currently working to join Schoolforge and
have convinced them that we should host a workshop/conference in June. If
possible, and you all agree, I'd like to call it a Schoolforge Conference. What
do you think? I'd like your suggestions on how to make it doable, better, and
would like to invite you all to Thailand in June to make it a success. Yes, you
can stay with me and my family ;-) as long as the floor space holds out.

Anyone interested in running a five day workshop in the following are invited to
contact me:

sys admin
teaching with open source tools
high school computer science using open source tools and languages
open source for school administrators

Here's the draft conference announcement:
http://opensourceschools.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20030303060148945

Any suggestions for improving focus and or content would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

David

--