Re: [school-core] Schoolforge Locals/Conference

David wrote:

> Schoolforge workshops or
> conferences. We would share materials, presentations, and ideas.

I'm good to go here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Great idea.

We were working hard on getting computer labs put into City Rec Centers. Our
fight is still not won. However, we think a YOUTH Technology Summit would be
a great addition to our shared landscape. I'm going to aggitate and
instigate for such an event. This is just starting to build and it isn't
much more than a foggy dream now. http://summit.cloh.org

Getting an alliance with others via some Schoolforge workshops or whatever
would be very welcomed.

> For instance, I
> have gotten the school at which I am currently working to join Schoolforge and
> have convinced them that we should host a workshop/conference in June. If
> possible, and you all agree, I'd like to call it a Schoolforge Conference.

I don't know the specifics of the logo ownership, etc. Trademarks? But, the
concept works for me. Perhaps Schoolforge Community Conference. Or get an
designation -- "Linked Conference from Schoolforge."

> Here's the draft conference announcement:
> http://opensourceschools.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20030303060148945
>
> Any suggestions for improving focus and or content would be appreciated.

I figure that the Youth Technology SUMMIT is going to thrive or not based
upon a group of build-up events. Smaller, school-based, neighborhood based
events would then feed into the annual SUMMIT. Then it is a best of the best
approach for the program at the SUMMIT.

Furthermore, I'd love to run the SUMMIT as a "democratic" endeavor. Put
everything up to a vote. Open committees. Join (subscribe) and then get a
vote. This would be a way to insure that the youth have a meaningful way to
guide the events and participate.

The raw voting power statement might freak out a few principals and Tech
Councils. But, for the summit to really work, it would evolve into a
Regional gig and exceed any specific school or district.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus
mark@Rauterkus.com  http://Rauterkus.com
http://CLOH.Org   http://Sunnyhill.org    http://www.Deliberate.com

Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network's first 'Public Action' was Feb 20,
2003 at Wesley Center A.M.E.-Zion Church. Thanks for lending your power to
this effort and its Youth & Recreation Task Force. http://dorm.cloh.org