to approach this in the future.

From: William Abernathy <william@inch.com>

I was looking through my college's graduate propaganda magazine the
other day and saw something quite disturbing. One of my classmates, a
twiggy quiet gal on the rugby team, is now the National President of
the Sierra Club. I'm sitting in a cul-de-sac duplex in a California
tract suburb, thanking my stars that I have a one-month writing
contract, while memory-lite entities from my past are rising up and
becoming titans of the nonprofit world. So, I see this as an
opportunity that may be knocking, and am loath to pass it up.

On the other hand...I have a lot of problems with the task at hand,
first and foremost due to my personal situation. Up until two weeks
ago, I hadn't worked a day in eight months. I'm trying to work hard
and not drop the ball professionally, because if I screw up this gig,
odds are I'll have to go back to pulling phone cable for a living.

Let's imagine, though, that I take on the job. There are quite a few
problems here, starting with the nature and character of Schoolforge.
I recognize the value and importance of the coalition approach, and
the necessity of the consensus style of governance that this imposes.
As has been evident from the past press release cycles, however, this
style makes our decisionmaking cumbersome and slow. A spokesman has to
have the authority to speak for the organization, and must be given
the freedom to be quick on his feet. Would the Schoolforge coalition
be at all comfortable with a single person becoming the voice of the
organization? What would happen if that spokesman said something
that a third of the organization, or even *most* of the organization,
did not agree with?

Bear in mind also that what you're asking for is someone who A) "gets"
open source, B) is media-savvy, and C) has something credible to say
about the business of education. The last classroom I was in was one I
was pulling phone cable through, and as you pointed out recently, this
group is long on nerds and short on teachers. Would having a spokesman
with scant clue about the problems of teachers be a help or a
hindrance to the 'forge?

Let's also look at the time and money commitment. Doing good media
costs bucks.  Emailed press releases don't cut the mustard.  People
need a piece of paper on their desk or a caller on their phone. That
means that there's a lot of long-distance calling (during peak hours,
no less!), faxing, and postage involved in the job (which is one of
the reasons for the overdesign I asked Les for wrt the mediabase).
Right now, I can't even afford my health insurance. Would Schoolforge
member organizations pool their assets and pony up for the expenses?
If so, it would make more sense to quit calling ourselves a coalition
and start calling ourselves a nonprofit organization, and structure
and bill our membership accordingly.

As for the last media release, it didn't make a mainstream splash for
a lot of reasons. First, by the time it went out, it was old news (see
above). Second, it wasn't news in the first place -- "Linux Geeks Hate
Microsoft," or for that matter "Microsoft Caught Lying," are not
compelling stories. If you really want media, you have to lay down
groundwork at the local level. Schoolforge member organizations need
to work their local media at the grass roots, and make stories happen
there. That's the only non-Slashdot/OSDN/Newsforge/preaching-to-the-
choir media you'll get at first. The sorry fact is that national media
seldom break news. Usually, local papers do the hard work, and once
the story is out there and "proven," (i.e., is shown to be a good
story) the nationals pile on and take all the credit. What we're doing
(and why we're doing it) is obscure enough that most media aren't
going to pick up on it as an issue in and of itself.

Given this, the only way I see us as really getting media is to
coordinate as best we can to support local efforts. If we do a good,
solid defenestration at a local school district level, we can get
media there. Then maybe a national will pick it up. Maybe not. It may
take three or four successful rollouts before they start to get it.

Finally, there is the question of why we want media at all.
Schoolforge is a coalition designed to help member organizations do
their jobs more effectively.  Given this presumed mandate, I have to
wonder why there should be centralized media in the first place. As I
see it, the best role for the organization would be to help member
organizations create their own media databases along a Schoolforge
standard, with the understanding that they will share this
information and help out the larger membership when issues of state,
national, or international interest arise. Centralized media makes
sense for a centralized organization. If Schoolforge were an
incorporated nonprofit, and if Schoolforge were involved in
grant-collecting and revenue-generation sufficient to cover expenses
(and even salaries) it would make sense for the organization to have
this sort of presence.

But unless and until such a mandate arises, I think Schoolforge's best
efforts would be spend on assisting its constituent members in their
service at the local school level, including what support we can
provide in the media department, rather than trying to draw attention
to ourselves in the national and international media arenas.

Anyway, that's what I think...

--William

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--