Re: [school-core] Re: Software Categories for Schoolforge.net

> Justin wrote:
>>Laura, when we have the new categories, are you going to go through
>>and place some of the contents into their new containers?
>
> That was the plan.  That's why I was kind of hoping we would get a few more
> volunteers.  It can be a lot to maintain and will be even more of a job as
> we add more and more applications.

You could briefly describe what you've been doing on
schoolforge-discuss and ask if anyone could volunteer some time to
help offload some of the time commitment you're putting in.  I can set
up a junior editor access level, and you can help direct the legions
of helpers :)

> Here's a preliminary categories list.  Hopefully, we can discuss it and
> modify it further for ease of use in finding the right software.
>
> Arts (Should this be combined with Multimedia or should we have two
> categories?)

We should keep multimedia.  It is one of the categories that brings in
the most search traffic.  (google 'multimedia software')

> Language Arts
> Mathematics
> Physical Education & Health
> Sciences
> Social Studies
> Compilations and Collections
> Educational Games
> Internet
> Office Software Publishing Tools
> School Management Systems/Student Information Systems (Is there any overlap
> in these or should they stay separate?)

I don't know.  They seem to overlap a bit, but some projects call
themselves one or the other and offer some different features.

> Learning Management and Course Management (Again, is there any overlap with
> the previous two categories or is the software sufficiently separate in
> functionality?)

Same reason as before

> Computer Administration Tools  (We need a good definition of what falls into
> this category.  So far, it's just be anything utility or tool oriented.)
> Utilities (If we want to separate client from admin, how about adding
> utilities and merging antivirus spyware protection into it?)

Admin tools, utilities, antivirus and spyware..  m

> Education Resources (This ended up being a catch-all for things that didn't
> fit other categories.  Is that what we want or did we want this more for
> online resources or something else?)

I pictured education resources as a catch-all for software that
contains educational content.