Re: [school-core] multilingual web platform

grahame.leon-smith@free-computers.org wrote:
Karl

Great to hear from you again.  The problem with Linux here in the UK is that
unfortunately we are totally dominated by Microsoft. The Government and all
Local Education Authorities will only recommend and will only provide
support for Windows, and the overwhelming majority of schools (and
individuals as well) are afraid to change to Linux because they feel that
there will be no one to help them if anything goes wrong.  There is also of
course the fact that they need to access and be able to use all the current
programmes as well for the foreseeable future, so they really need to be
able to operate both at the same time.

Grahame,
this is exactly the same for Germany.

But in the last two years a change in the view of the government took place. So slowly there is some public rumor about Linux. People begin to think about it. The case of Munich, where all windows clients in the public administration are to be replaced by Linux clients is one model. Another case is Schwäbisch Hall.

With the public administrations beginning to change their opinion there is a chance that also school administrations are beginning to change minds.

This is a slow process. But it has to start. I started in my school some years ago. You should support this start by giving away ready to run machines. Then you do not need people to setup a computer room (at least not for the initial setup).

Just give to schools your computer in a ready to run pre-installed mode.

You don't need Microsoft for that. Schools will see that your computers run more reliable, less maintenance intensive and well enough to allow the bread and butter applications (Office applications).

I note with interest that you are still the German Co-ordinator for the
European Schools Project.  I used to receive regular emails and details of
their annual conferences but I have heard absolutly nothing for over a year
now.  Is it still active ?

Regards, Grahame
Yes it is. May be a bit more silent then before.

;-)

CU
Karl

--