Re: [school-discuss] Gradebook Specification

Geez, I take a night off to work on a personal project (setting up the
community center network; I've mentioned it before) and you folks go crazy on
a major new initiative!  I particularly like how people from multiple
Schoolforge member projects are committing to work together on developing
this!  Kudos all around!

I think it is well worth looking back at Bruno Vernier's original EduML work
<http://eduml.anet.fr/specs/eduml.1.0.xml> for fields needed in these various
tables.  Bruno can point us to better references to his work (can't you,
Bruno? :-) ).

One of the most important things, I think, is to "internationalize" this from
the start.  Don't assume US/Canadian norms, but make it flexible enough to
work for UK, Greek, South African, Singaporean, etc. schools.  I'll give a
few examples of such stuff in my comments below (I'm no expert in this, so
take my recommendations as concepts, not good solutions).

Les Richardson wrote:

> Reflecting upon a basic gradebook spec, I've come up with several tables
> in a database:
>
> 1) Student - student information including:
> a) Lastname
> b) Firstname
> c) Student Number (local or state/provincial)
> plus any other useful demographic stuff.

"Lastname" and "Firstname" should be "Familyname" and "Givenname" or
something similar to cover different name ordering among cultures.
Demographic fields should also be flexible (not requiring a state/province or
a postal code, for example, as some countries have neither).

> 2) Tests - a particular assessment device given to students in
> a particular class/section taught by a particular teacher.
>
> a) TestID - unique number
> b) Subject ID/Description - a particular subject. May match value in
> another "subject" table or not.
> c) SectionID - a particular "section" or "group taught by a particular
> teacher.
> d) Description of test/assessment device.
> e) Date of test
> f) Maximum Raw Score.
> g) Weighting (for total assessment results.)
> h) Category A - useful for grouping assessment types.
> i) Category B
> j) Category C, etc.
>
> 3) Results - students' results from tests.
> a) Student Number
> b) Test Number
> c) Raw Score
> d) Text Descriptor of result.

We should hear from different systems how student test results are tracked.
In the US, there are (AFAIK) three standard ways: percentage correct, letter
grades from A (best) through F (worst), and Grade Point Averages (from 0.0 to
4.0, 4.0 being perfect).  I'm sure there are other methods in use in the
world.