Re: [school-discuss] Re: Gradebook project

This is just a query (or possibly a suggestion) re the gradebook
project.

Here in Australia, all assessment and reporting is done within a
"curriculum and standards framework" (CSF) of some kind (one for
each state and
territory) that specifies outcomes in all Key Learning Areas
("subjects").
The CSF covers all years from primary to secondary school (years 1
to 12).

So, a gradebook that records information like "Maths: 8/10, English
7/10"
etc would not really be useful for us. We would need a way of
"plugging
in" our CSF and then recording a value against each of the specified

criteria. For example:

Information Technology Level 3 -

3.1 Outcome: Student can open a web browser and use a search engine
locate information on the internet.

Against this outcome, we would record a value of "Achieved,
Consolidating
or Beginning". We would also need a way of summarising all such
information to give an indication of how many outcomes were achieved
at
each level by each student, etc. In addition, we would need to
record the
location of (or even better, include) hard evidence of the student
having
achieved the outcome.

Does all this sound like something that the proposed gradebook might
be
able to handle? I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I
haven't
followed the thread up to now.

If the gradebook project aspired to be useful internationally, the
ability
to plug-in and report against local curricula would probably be
essential.
I haven't really considered the technical solution to such a
requirement -
maybe XML could help?

Mick Hall