Re: [school-discuss] Re: Gradebook project

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Michael Hall wrote:

> Here in Australia, all assessment and reporting is done within a
> "curriculum and standards framework" (CSF) of some kind (one for
> each state and
> territory) that specifies outcomes in all Key Learning Areas
> ("subjects").
> The CSF covers all years from primary to secondary school (years 1
> to 12).
>
> So, a gradebook that records information like "Maths: 8/10, English
> 7/10"
> etc would not really be useful for us. We would need a way of
> "plugging
> in" our CSF and then recording a value against each of the specified
>
> criteria. For example:
>
> Information Technology Level 3 -
>
> 3.1 Outcome: Student can open a web browser and use a search engine
> locate information on the internet.
>
> Against this outcome, we would record a value of "Achieved,
> Consolidating
> or Beginning". We would also need a way of summarising all such
> information to give an indication of how many outcomes were achieved
> at
> each level by each student, etc. In addition, we would need to
> record the
> location of (or even better, include) hard evidence of the student
> having
> achieved the outcome.
>
> Does all this sound like something that the proposed gradebook might
> be
> able to handle? I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I
> haven't
> followed the thread up to now.
>
> If the gradebook project aspired to be useful internationally, the
> ability
> to plug-in and report against local curricula would probably be
> essential.
> I haven't really considered the technical solution to such a
> requirement -
> maybe XML could help?

Some of Vernier's work on EduML I've found, dated 1999(I think), has an
element type named 'Outcomes' that seems to be based on this idea. Not
sure of where EduML is right now (ask google about EduML and you should
find what I found); think someone posted to the list recently asking
about progress. Anxious to hear about it myself. It could make it a lot
easier to make a lot of things work together seamlessly if we had a
thorough, detailed EduML schema to use.

Matt

--
http://www.paperlove.org/  :..: [being redesigned] :..:  matt@paperlove.org
Linux/Open Source Advocate:..:Consultant:..:Designer:..:Webmaster:..:Artist