Re: [school-discuss] From Microsoft: A Guide to Accepting

Kyle Hutson wrote:
> Donated Computers
> Sender: owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
>
> On 18 Apr 2002 at 13:37, Doug Loss wrote:
>
>>FYI, and it's somewhat humorous (although packed with
>>misinformation):
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/education/?id=DonatedComputers
>>

> OK, I'll bite. Why is this humorous, and what misinformation?
>
> Sure, the manuals (along with the cert. of authenticity and the EULA
>
> and perhaps even the installation media) have probably been thrown
> away many moons ago, but other than that? OEM licenses of MS
> software
> (of course, they are making that assumption, and statisticly they're
>
> usually right) are required to stay with the computer they were
> bought with (doesn't mean it needs to be installed, just that the
> license goes with the PC).

Well, what the site says is that donated hardware is leagaly required to
  include it's original pre-installed OS software, which I suspect is
simply a lie.  You dont have to also donate the original pre-installed
OS, you can remove it, throw it away, and install something else.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator