Re: [school-discuss] Name change and Name Ideas needed

Matt Jezorek wrote:

>    I also can not afford to protect the name. Back when I first started to
> Blue Linux i tried to register bluelinux.org, bluelinux.com, and
> bluelinux.net. However I was only able to get .org. I have tried almost
> daily to grab the other domains as they expire. I lost at this battle.
> BlueLinux.com was snatched up in January by a company called CPi Sites
> they own http://www.urlcollector.com/. I tried to make an offer to buy the
> domain at what I feel is a fair price. I was denied and told that I had to
> purchase it for $650 dollars US. I can not afford this. In the process
> they told me they where going to complete the sale to a company in Tokyo
> for $500.00 US. I can not compete I dont have the budget. Now it apears
> that if I owned a trademark on Blue Linux I could then chase down and get
> the domain of course they said the only way I could get it with a
> trademark from them is for them to charge me a "Surrender Fee" of 562.00
> US. Here is where I can not protect the name. Why would a company in Tokyo
> buy "bluelinux.com" unless they where intending on providing
> software/services or a product under the Blue Linux name.

Perhaps you should talk directly to the people in Japan before leaping to any
conclusions. Domain name traders are scum. If they told me my pants were on
fire, I'd wait for a second opinion. For all you know, they fabricated the
Japanese angle from whole cloth. And the Japanese, if they do exist, may be
willing to share, or take a .biz domain.

While I could
> stop a trademark with the prior art clause. I can not stop them from using
> the domain name to release a product either competing with me or against
> me or however you want to say it. I dont mind competition but I dont want
> competition because of a .org or .com typo. So we feel it would probably
> be best to change names.

Don't get so worked up. Unless and until you've confirmed the Japanese angle,
you don't even know whether or not there will be any confusion over your domain
name. These squatters may well be playing games. Don't fold before you have a
chance to see them blink.

--William