Re: [school-discuss] KDE3 for those ...

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 19:41, Dave Prentice wrote:
> All my installs have been Redhat. Up til recently I used gnome,
> but lately have switched to KDE because it just feels better
> somehow. If one wants to upgrade to KDE 3, how massive a headache is
> it? Would you first uninstall KDE 2 then install an rpm for KDE 3?
> Is there an RPM?

If you use Mandrake, there are two different RPM sets (Texstar and Mandrake)
that work side-by-side with KDE2. I'm working with Texstar's edition at the
moment. You have to do some fiddling to get it all to integrate with KDM (the
graphical login manager) but if you run it from the command-line as `kde3' it
seems to work fine.

Konq knows a lot more about Java and JavaScript, and has two options I really
appreciate, `smart' popup suppression and a dialog which explains that a MIME
handler is missing, asks if you want to chase it down and most importantly
has a `[X] Don't ask again' checkbox. (-:

KMail has had a *lot* of the annoying little glitches taken out.

Cheers; Leon