Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On 25 Apr 2002 at 18:39, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > Someone here asked what applications are keeping us from
switching
> > desktops. For me the answer is:
> > 1) Accelerated Reader
> > 2) KidPix
> > 3) Lots of 'edutainment' stuff, particularly those from
Davidson,
> > Sunburst, Knowledge Adventure (JumpStart), and (like it or not)
> > Microsoft (Magic School Bus).
> Why don't you take the problem the other way, the educational
system
> is/should be looking for feature, not product.

I agree, fully. But if you look at my list, you'll see there isn't
much there in the OSS world for these apps. I don't care if it's
"Accelerated Reader" or any other system which provides a
well-researched reading incentive program which keeps up to date on
new releases (and yes, I'd even be willing to pay for a subscription
for the updates). But no other system exists (or if it does, I
haven't heard of it). Ideally, if the program was in place, and I
could still subscribe to AR's updates, I'd still be happy.

There are also not many comprehensive grade-level programs such as
the JumpStarts.

Please prove me wrong! I'd love to be proved wrong here!

> This said, we should find out what is missing on Linux to fill the
gap
> and then code it.

One of these days, I'll have to start doing some coding again (I
haven't since college). For right now, I'm doing well to get 6 hours
of sleep with everything else I have going on.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world