Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On 25 Apr 2002 at 10:03, Randy Smith wrote:
> You might be able to get around that with a Windows 2000 terminal
server
> and run rdesktop from Linux workstations. I'm going to try that in
my test
> lab.

Yes, you can do that, BUT
1) Lotsa screen changes = bad for terminal services and more
importantly
2) To be compliant with the licenses, you're still paying MS for the
privilege of doing so. Granted, it's only a $40-$50 TS CAL rather
than a full-blown Win2k/XP license, but this is very comparable to
the school agreement price anyway (except that you only pay it once,

not per year).

>                                                  I suppose the
question is
> if the school is teaching students how to use a word processor or
how to
> use Word.

I agree wholeheartedly, and if we had (as we did in the school where
I attended) a separate "vocational center" (read: vo-tech) to teach
them "stuff you'll use when getting a job after graduation", I think
I could get away with OpenOffice, but not since we're expected to
provide this service ourselves.
--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world