Re: [school-discuss] Students "hacking"

One method you might try is to tap into the student's motivation, but
from the other side: challenge him to help make a system more secure.

If you have the resources to set up a small network (not connected to
the rest of the net) so that you can help show how the hacks work, and
how to prevent them from happening (e.g., actually edit source code to
fix buffer overflow). If they feel ownership of the system, they will
try to protect it, and will try not to lose the priviledge of using the
special setup.

I wouldn't try to "help" them become betters hackers, but help them
understand the ethical and technical problems. And let them know under
no uncertain terms that they will be, at least, kicked out of the group
if they use their knowledge in harmful ways.

As Spiderman says, "with great power comes great responsibility"...

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,            (610)526-6501