[school-discuss] Students "hacking"

I send you this file in order to have your advice.

Now that I've tripped all your virus scanners... :-)

Background:
I have a Jr. High student who has several "how to hack" files. They
are very outdated and will most likely get him caught on the first
attempt if he tried to use anything out of them (mostly phone
phreaking, and modem wardialers).

Question:
I'm inclined to let him know that I've seen what he's doing and
offer to help him if he really wants to learn to hack - introduce
him to linux and some Perl and C (I'm quite positive he's never used
anything but Win9x). Is this wise? On one hand, if he doesn't get
caught, I would hate to be responsible for enabling another 5kr1p7
k1dd13. On the other, he could become one anyway. Anybody dealt with
this issue before? Any sage advice?

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world