[Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:57:43 -0400
From: Matt Drew <mdrew@redhat.com>
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net

Cameron Miller wrote:
 > Randy Smith wrote:
 >
 >> First, thank you all for your responses. I'm beginning a project

with the
 >> local college to build a sample lab. The I want to use this to
 >> demonstrate
 >> Linux and what it can do.
 >>
 >> My biggest problem is that some of the schools in the area are
so poor
 >> that they are completely funded by grants (including a few Gates

 >> Foundation Grants). That pulls most of the teeth out of the
"cost of
 >> ownership" arguments.
 >>
 >> That aside, the tech crew at these schools are all Windows guys.
 >> suggested FreeBSD for a DNS server because the Windows box
wasn't
 >> working right and I got that blank stare.
 >>
 >> I have seen asked somewhere (this list maybe) for a list of
Windows and
 >> OSS equivalents but have not seen an answer. Eg MS Office <=>
Open
 >> Office. Does anyone know of such a list?
 >>
 >> Thanks again.
 >>

 > Hey Randy,
 >
 > There was such a list of equivalents starting to form a couple of
days
 > ago on this list, (either this one or seul-edu) as part of these
 > threads.  I think one of the folks posted it up at the School
Forge
 > website?
 >
 > - cameron

seul-edu has a chunk of good stuff here:

http://richtech.ca/seul/

but no matching to Windows applications.  The previous
message/thread is
here for those who missed it (like me):

http://archives.seul.org/schoolforge/discuss/Apr-2002/msg00291.html

David Bucknell said it would be posted to opensourceschools.org, but
was unable to find it.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

OFSET's Freeduc list is linked from schoolforge:

http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/

Wine has some software listed, but it is mostly higher-level Exam
Cram
type software:

http://appdb.codeweavers.org

Looks like there are holes to be filled with Wine testing for
existing
software, and getting a reasonable comparison database up.  More to
the
point, what are people using now?  What exactly needs to be
replaced/ or
working with Wine?  I'm going to pose this question to our NC pilot
folks as well, and let you know what comes up.

Matt
--
Matt Drew
Red Hat, Inc