Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On 26 Apr 2002 at 7:57, Daniel Carter wrote:
> I think you're missing the point here.  Experience _is_ dabbling
> with things.  Experience is _not_ learning keystrokes.  Teaching
> kids in school the keystrokes and where to point and click is
doing
> them a great injustice.  Ultimately, they're getting no experience

> at all.
>
> I know, because less than 1 1/2 years ago I was at an (otherwise
> good) school that taught the keystrokes and WYSIWIG stuff.  That
was
> an absolutely useless experience.

We're arguing the same point. What I know to be true is not what
many employers are asking for. The question then becomes "do I put
my students at a competitive disadvantage while looking for a job,
in order to put them at an advantage once they've gotten it?" It's a

valid question.

> b.t.w having 4 years experience with WindowsXP is impossible.  Its

> been out for less than a year.

Exactly. That's what I was saying. I HAVE seen an ad that asked for
4 years experience with WindowsXP. Just because nobody can meet that
qualification doesn't mean that some clueless employers won't ask
for it.

...which reminds me to one of my favorite quotes - "Achieving the
impossible only means it will be added to your list of regular
duties."

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world