Re: [school-discuss] Master schedule building and scheduling

David, very nice work. I have visited your web site and checked out the information there. Your approach, which I would categorize as letting humans handle the political concerns, may be the only viable approach, I don't know. It is a common approach in many scheduling problems (people don't like being pushed around by a computer?); even simple group scheduling products such as outlook find it easier and safer to assist you, letting you know common free times of a group rather than forcing you in to a slot (every one is always free Friday afternoon). Obviously a computer program can use things like the conflict matrix to help determine optimum placement of course and do it faster an more accurately than a human.

The holy grail of scheduling however remains:

  • input courses you wish to offer (no section or schedule info), 99% already there.
  • input teachers 99% already there.
  • input student course requests, scan or what ever is easy.
  • push button (or click mouse if that does it for you)
  • go to beach for the summer.
  • Open school with great schedule and everyone singing your praises. (optional but highly desirable - large pay increase)

A couple of questions about your loader. I notice a search depth field, what is a common value for this? How deep do you suggest a school go?

In my own tests, which would of course be greatly affected by the priority system, (I don't allow humans to set scheduling priorities, they do a bad job) I have never seen a student scheduled past about 20,000 tries (in 20 years my schedulers have made at least 100,000 runs), although I current let the program try up to 100,000 (I think, don't have the source code handy) (once I have the data from the database, the run is only 1-3 seconds, so I'm not much concerned about waste). It should be noted however that most rejected students have an irresolvable conflict within a couple of hundred try's.

I also notice a switch for seat stealing. I'm not sure what you mean by this. It sound from the PDF on scheduling that you take seats from students that have incomplete schedules, rather than trying to reschedule an already scheduled student. In my scheduler I don't give rejected students any seats, there is no point to it, so I'm really not stealing seats.
If you are actually taking seats from scheduled students (rescheduling them of course) I would like to know what is the expected effect of this on the run. I.a. say in a typical large high school of 2000 students, how many more students would be schedule with this option vs. with out it?

My own tests, years ago, showed that it was a lot of extra work with little to show for it.

Once again very impressive work.

Jim