Re: [school-discuss] Re: [ilug-goa] edu-sotware on knoppix

Dear Frederick,

Two things. First, just a side-track on this question of yours: I'll check into
this, but in addition to Dr. Geo and numerous science-related apps (find them at
http://richtech.ca/seul/index.php), at that age, you don't need to be tricked
into using the computer. If you just need office programs, they're there. If you
need to learn to program, it's possible. The difference between the proprietary
and the free/open source worlds (as you well know) is that the latter is based
on needs, not attractive packaging. If the need is expressed clearly, the
community members can respond clearly. So ask them to say what they need.

Secondly, would you bring up the possibility of forming Schoolforge-India or
Schoolforge-City Name Here?

It's just like a LUG, but with education as its focus. I'm forming
Schoolforge-Thailand or Bangkok (some debate on this) and Schoolforge-UK has
already formed. My argument is that we can act locally and draw on information
globally. I hope you'll consider it, or ask your group to do so.

Keep up the good work,

David

http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine *