[school-discuss] [Fwd: X Application Server System]

I just received this message this morning. Malcolm's explanation (especially the one on his "about xass" webpage) of how this works is very interesting. I think this application could have definite educational uses.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: X Application Server System
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:24:38 +1000
From: m.smith6@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au
To: satimis@writeme.com, drloss@suscom.net

hi,

I just noticed your discussion last year about my software: http://archives.seul.org/schoolforge/discuss/Oct-2002/msg00100.html

I have since posted an 'about xass' link on the site, http://xass.sourceforge.net/ - it seemed like most people didn't understand what the software was supposed to achieve, either.

To cut it short, if you have multiple servers, these can be used to host graphical, X11 applications that are displayed on a large number of clients. XASS means that the client will request an application to be run on any of the servers, without being tied to a specific one. Loadbalancing code should (theoretically) ensure much more efficient resource utilisation, as a server that is fast to respond and doing relatively little will be used in preference to one that takes a long time to respond or is busy.

The management advantage is that new servers can be added very easily, and if clients are configured to broadcast for servers, no client reconfiguration is necessary. If an application is under heavy use, it is easy to plug in a new application server and have it pick up the load, or make that application available on another server.

It supports a whole range of security features, users are authenticated with challenge-response, and there's a lot of configurability about how some apps will run (ie., as specific user/group, priority, etc.)

So XASS is basically a management tool which (I feel) is a better approach for dealing with distributed X11 application environments.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

- M
--
Malcolm Smith
Undergraduate LLB Student

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain