Re: [school-discuss] Cost comparisons for Linux vs. Windows

Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on a paper for one of my graduate courses that is
> tentatively titled "Free As In Speech: Using Open Source Software In
> Education." Depending on how it turns out I plan to submit it for
> publication to one of the educational technology journals.
>
> I'm writing the paper as an advocacy piece to raise awareness of open
> source software for school technology decision makers. Probably the most
> attention-getting aspect of open source is the low entry cost. (My paper
> discusses other arguably more important benefits as well.) The problem
> is that I don't know much about licensing MS products or the MS
> product line. I'm considering the following scenarios for which I plan
> to compare an MS solution and a Linux solution. In scenario #1 I will
> also include a thin-client solution based on the K12LTSP. Here they are.
> What I need is information about which Microsoft products I would need
> to buy (and some sense of a minimum server spec.) to accomplish the
> following.
>
> Scenario #1
> ===========
> An elementary school with a basic computer network infrastructure wants
> to build a computer lab of 20 computers and install an additional 10
> workstations for staff use. Student and staff files will be stored on a
> file server that will also provide printing services. The school wants
> to build a Web page and will require a separate Web server and will
> also provide email for the staff (total of 25 teachers + support staff)
> and a porn-filtering proxy.
>
> Scenario #2
> ===========
> A medium-sized school district wants to upgrade all their Windows 98
> desktops and Office 97 machines to Windows XP and Office XP.
>
> I've been able to locate some information about academic pricing, but
> it's not clear to me which MS products fit the bill for some of the
> requirements mentioned in the scenarios. Any suggestions?
>
> -Tim

Don't just focus on entry cost.  Focus on TCO over time, compare versus
the myriad of proprietary software upgrades, and definitely get into the
new Microsoft subscription program of forced annual payments and upgrades.

Make a good mention the draconian EULA's in many proprietary
applications as well.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller