Re: [school-discuss] Cost comparisons for Linux vs. Windows - retailprices

I find this interesting, i have been thinking about mode changing for
interfaces for a while now.  i frequently switch seemingly randomly by
observers accounts between my macos osx linux running enlightenment and
gnome on x and solaris running openwindows, but then i see people
entirely lost moving from a one set of metaphors to another on the
desktop.  I wonder if there is some predisposition for this in
comparison to say books, which i usually have several fiction and
nonfiction open at any time that i just pick up and read picking up,
sometimes reviewing first before moving on, but generally not.  It seems
that there is a some sort of set of practicable skills or abilities that
some people seem to have and others I am unsure of.

--sociology-political science speak follows in sort of a ramble--
I haven't seen this as a primarily class or work placed outlook though
it seems to be across those boundaries.  Some people can work within
systems, some can move between systems, and some outside of systems.  I
think it has a good deal to do with early education, not so much school,
but life education.  I see people who were exposed to alot of different
and complex situation early in their life and were successful in
managing that, as an extra-class elite, sort of mapping the differential
experiences upon a set of coping and other skills to enable them to move
from environment to environment with alacrity.  Whereas, when i talk to
people that seem to not be able to move between digital media
environments as easily, they seem to be, not as a whole, but in part
very involved in a somewhat narrow area of interest and working very in
depth with that field or set of fields, thus transforming the tools of
information managment, the interface, into less of an environment to be
navigated toward an logical and rationally limited set of if then
clauses.  If i click here, this happens, if i click there that happens.
the problem is that the happenings do not seem to be metaphors for them,
but very strong deterministic relationships in which if something does
not happen liek they suppose, it is very similar to how someone might
react should they not know how to interpret an eclipse.  Their youth
experiences are usually illuminating in this way if i can get them to
talk about them.  They talk of this doing that and in a very narrow
subset,  in short, it seems to me that the hermeneutical faculty is
perhaps working in other terms for them.  Assuming of course, following
aristoteles, that we all have similar natural faculties from being human
that get trained differently through living our lives to perform
whatever duties are needed within our lives.

On Saturday, August 17, 2002, at 12:37 PM, Dave Prentice wrote:

> Jon Adam wrote:
> <snip>
>> I will say this.  The children that we have given computers to with
> linux on
>> them, love it.  We have had a couple of tech calls, but for the most
> part,
>> these kids are picking up linux and running these computers very
> well.
>>
>> Jon
>>
> I agree! Non-technical adults tend to be leery of change no matter
> what, but in my [inner city high school] classroom over the last 2
> years I found that kids have a ZERO learning curve in switching from
> Windows to a Linux GUI such as gnome or KDE. Give them a logon ID and
> they're off to the races.
> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com
> http://www.originsweb.info