Re: [school-discuss] FOSS -- environmental friendly -- methane - still off topic

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 21:55, u0107552@utah.edu wrote:
> What puzzles me is... Don't we want *more* atmospheric carbon to become
> "fixed" rather than less.  Phil seems confused.  Unless his grass is
> floating around in the atmosphere. :)
Fixing carbon (e.g. as coal and oil) has obviously worked pretty well over
geological timescales. My only problem with it is that it is nearly always
hauled out as an alternative to reducing our consumption of fossil fuel. The
carbon fixed in oil an coal reserves is much less likely to be quickly
released into the atmosphere in a catastrophic event than carbon fixed in
grass and trees, so it seems sensible to me to leave the fossil fuels in the
ground, adopt the most energy efficient technologies and policies we can
muster, and power them with renewable stuff.

Those on this list from the UK who have an Acorn background may remember
Gordon Taylor, who was marketing manager for Computer Concepts from 1990.
Gordon has a background in thermal engineering, and is very active in the
area of meeting carbon emissions targets. You may be interested in a couple
of articles on his website:

Energy Solutions for 60% Carbon Reduction
http://www.energypolicy.co.uk/epolicy.htm
The Future of the Hydrogen Economy: Bright or Bleak ?
http://www.energypolicy.co.uk/hydrogen.htm

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll