Re: [school-discuss] Encourage schools to host a software freedom day event

"Peter Ruwoldt" <ruwoldtp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to encourage all schools to give some thought to the software
> that they have the students use from the perspective of access and equity.
> Is the software you are using freely available so that students can continue
> with their learning beyond the school, unencumbered.  I would also like to
> encourage interested schools to consider hosting a "Software Freedom
> Day<http://softwarefreedomday.org/>"
> event, a global event that supports local communities to celebrate and
> educate how Free Open Source Software can benefit people in their area. This
> year it is on September 20th.
>
> FOSS fits well with the ideal 'Free and Open Education' by being able to
> give the learning tools to students so that they can use, share and build
> upon them. Collaboration and sharing fits well with this ideal and FOSS.
>
> Go to the "Software Freedom Day <http://softwarefreedomday.org/>" site to
> get more information about the event and register your team.
>[snip]
> --
> Free and Open education for all
>
> Peter Ruwoldt
> Grant High School
> Hosking Avenue
> MOUNT GAMBIER SA 5290
>
> P. 08 87263128
> F. 08 87250173
>
> ruwoldtp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://ruwoldtp.googlepages.com/

Thanks for the info. Now I'm going to have to get busy and see if I can
come up with something. If Cinderella could get herself to the ball, so can I.

As usual I want to expand on this idea of open-source software in
education. Everyone here realises the potential value of FOSS to education,
and I do not intended to diminish that in any way. My point, as always, is
that what is just as important to students, if not more important, is open
courseware. To put it simply, open-source textbooks. Free and open access
to tools is great, but the next big step will require moving beyond tools,
and beyond reference sources such as Wikipedia, to where entire courses on
every imaginable subject are available, unencumbered by financial
shortfalls and meddling textbook selection committees. That is what Chalk
Dust is all about. Anyone who understands this, who sees the value that is
so obvious to me, should join the Open Slate Brainstorms mailing list and
get involved.

Open Slate Project - http://openslate.net/

Open Slate Wiki (Home of Chalk Dust) - http://wiki.openslate.net/

Open Slate Brainstorms mailing list registration -
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openslate-brainstorms

Mahalo!

Gary Dunn
Honolulu