Re: [school-discuss] Bounced messages

It's true - my focus has been more on the website. The suggestions are helpful, Michael - there was some talk about switching to mailman a long while back. I was mostly looking at it from the website perspective, as there is a module for Drupal that would integrate mailman with the website. http://drupal.org/project/mailman_manager The features that you have mentioned seem to address even more fundamental tasks though. It would be great to go forward with the suggestion, and would gladly accept assistance in ensuring everything is migrated properly (importing the archived emails too if possible). Right now, I don't have a lot of free time available to research the packages..

Justin

Bill Ries-Knight wrote:
I'll bring up the mailman issue with arma next time we chat... Which could be a while. Or you can.
Bill

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:46:03AM -0700, Bill Ries-Knight wrote:
    > This was always an issue with Doug.

    Noes, this is a bit more peculiar.

    First, Doug did unusual job with caring for those who don't care
    themselves to subscribe all the addresses which they might use to
    post to the list and disable mail *reception* for extra addresses.

    So we should just thank him for that, but it's pretty wrong to
    expect such service from a person that does anything else...

    Second, I don't know if Majordomo (which schoolforge runs) is
    capable of that, at least in more or less obvious way.
    Mailman and Sympa can do it (via web interface, too).

    To sum it all up:

    - for schoolforge, might be better off to move to mailman some day
     (it also has an automatic bounce manager);
    - for subscribers, to care for correct From: with lists they post to.
     A habit with having one (probably dedicated) email account for
     mailing lists might help with that as well.

    Hope folks get me right, I just happen to lurk on or participate
    in several dozens of mailing lists since 2001 or so...

    --
     ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

Bill Ries-Knight