Re: [school-discuss] Recommended remote linux client admin tools?

David Bucknell, on 2011-08-18 13:38,  wrote:
> Dear Schoolforgers,
>
> If you are successfully using a remote admin tool to install software
> on linux clients, can you share its name/url with me/us?

Hi David,

I wanted to point out 'puppet',  another valuable configuration system to
the list. The advantage of puppet over something like CSSH is
that puppet is declarative, whereas CSSH is imperative (or
procedural). With CSSH, you get to send commands to multiple
machines - but when you get a new set of machines, you have to
start over again. Puppet allows you to declare what resources
some set of machines should have, (instead of what commands to
run) - so when you get a new machine, you just need to put puppet
on there and it'll fetch from the puppetmaster what resources it
should have, and use the appropriate means for getting them
(puppet knows about yum on Redhat based distros, apt-get on
Debian based ones, and even ports on the BSD systems)

I wrote an explanation as an answer to a similar question here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/465/automating-server-deployment/2192

and here's an article that goes into more detail:
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/325201-introduction-to-puppet-streamlined-system-configuration

best,
--
Paul Ivanov