I am more than happy since we almost finished the required legal efforts
for the establishment of our Non Government Organization. We are
preparing an international campaign and a GREAT launch event in Athens
Greece in May 2006.
You are all invited to be part of this exciting and timely movement.
I am really looking forward for your support and participation. We would
be happy to provide more info. [Send a mail to lytras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Wishing you a Happy New Year.
Dr. Miltiadis Lytras
OPEN RESEARCH SOCIETY.
THE OPEN RESEARCH SOCIETY N.G.O.
KEY ISSUES OF THE STATUTORY DEED
NAME:THE OPEN RESEARCH SOCIETY
LEGAL SEAT: ATHENS, GREECE
EMBLEM: The owl, symbol of both knowledge and the City of Athens.
FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES: ORS is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) and is
not depending on any government, political party, political or religious
organization or entities representing financial interests.
The action of ORS is addressed to all people, wherever in the world they
live, without any exception or discrimination and independently of race,
skin colour, nationality, age, religion or any other criterion of social
The achievement of the objectives of the Society relies on the voluntary
participation and offer of its members and the collaboration with every
other entity promoting voluntary offer to the society of the citizens.
1. Providing free and without cost access to knowledge and the results of
scientific research to all people at national, European or international
2. The promotion and spreading of the idea of volunteering and voluntary
offer among the creators of knowledge and the deliverers of scientific research.
3. The development of the citizensʼ society without dependence or influence
from state bodies and/or the market, as well as fighting off social
exclusion in the fields of knowledge and scientific research.
4. The promotion of the lifelong learning idea and the distance learning
method, especially by making use of computers and the internet.
5. Providing dedicated training and knowledge validation or metrication to
individuals, professionals, executives and officials.
MEANS TO ACHIEVE OBJECTIVES:
1. The development of programmes allowing free and unconditional access for
all people to the sources of knowledge and the results of scientific research.
2. The utilisation of the existing infrastructure created by The Open Access
3. The organization of conferences, seminars, training days and workshops
4. The participation in actions and programmes of research and development
and the exploitation of deliverables created by similar actions in Greece,
Europe, or the world.
5. The construction and development of sites and installations for the
hosting of events and actions of the scientific society.
6. The creation and operation of offices, libraries and other premises.
7. The creation of digital scientific magazines for the publication of
papers resulting from scientific research from all fields of science and/or
8. The publishing of books and other printed matter.
9. The development of methods and techniques for specialised training and
the evaluation, validation and accreditation of knowledge.
For the achievement of its objectives, the Society can also:
· Establish or found branches, desks and other installations in Greece,
Europe or the world.
· Collaborate with individuals, teams, organizations or other entities,
sharing the same or similar principles and following the same or similar
aims, in Greece, Europe or the world.
· Participate in the development of programmes and the implementation of
researches, analyses and events together with any other entity, public or
private, in Greece, Europe or the world.
· Reward and sponsor the scientific research in all fields and at all levels
and supply scholarships for the support of research efforts and the
spreading of knowledge.
· Apply or use any other means which the Board of Directors or the General
Assembly will deem necessary or helpful in the achievement of the Societyʼs
MEMBERS: Any person over 18 years of age, or any legal entity not clashing
with the fundamental principles of the Society. Unlimited number of members
ADMINISTRATION: The Board of Directors, comprising of 5 persons, is elected
by the General Assembly for a 5 year service. Among the members of the Board
of Directors the Chairman, the Vice-president, the General Secretary and the
Treasurer of the Society are elected.
Financial control is effected by a three member Auditorial Committee,
elected by the General Assembly for an equal service with the BoD.
Disciplinary power is mainly assigned to the Board of Directors (first
instance) and the General Assembly (appeal).
A full translation of the Statutory Deed will be promoted to all Non-Greek
members as soon as the legal procedures for the recognition of the Society