Re: [school-discuss] edu publishing tool

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:03:18AM +0000, Garry Saddington wrote:
> >>Have a look at Plone. (www.plone.org)
> >Are you kidding?
> No I am not kidding, why are you questioning an honest offer of help

I think it _is_ honest but still inadequate proposal.

> Been using Zope since 2002 without hitting this supposed wall!!
> have you the experience to make your sweepingly inaccurate
> statements?

I've hosted it since ca. 2003 and have seen it being
forward-ported.  Glad you didn't have to hit that particular
wall but could relax and wait until others have done it.

> It is the propagation of such inaccurate rubbish

Garry, don't get me wrong: Plone is fine piece of software given
proper amount of attention to it.  Said TYPO3 is another _fine_
but _inadequate_ tool for the job as well.  Like J2EE frameworks.

I've mastered a few products of comparable scale, and I do insist
that your proposal is like offering an address of an airport in
reply to a question, "where can I buy some wine" -- honestly
meaning that there's a duty free shop somewhere there.

But when you need wine and not a travel, you're not willing to
pay for the flight just to get lower prices for what you really
need.  And mastering *complex* frameworks usually is just too
expensive for solving *simple* tasks.

Not everything needs to scale that much, to put it simply.

> relegating Zope to the 'too difficult' status.

But it *is* difficult.  You would lie if you would downplay that.
And it is *too* difficult for a personal site *unless* one didn't
master it already for whatever other reasons.

Sorry for overreacting and making you take that as a personal
attack, I didn't intend to.  Please accept my apologies.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>