Re: [Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] EduML - case issue.]

> > Originating Program ->XML Markup->Receiving Program =>
> > Extraction and Transformation to
> > HTML, TeX, PS, PDF => Human Beans
> >
> > Les R.
> >
> 	Ah... I'm not sure we speak of the same thing. I was thinking about the
> way an application can locate the data before it even thinks of
> displaying it. For example: the student wants to retrieve a course in
> english, with a certain difficulty level about a certain thema. Even if
> the application can read this course and display it (after
> transformation) you first have to find it on that big (;-) free and
> distributed course repository we are building. That's why I think we
> should bring in some metadata. So we do not commit the same error the
> web architects did when they developped HTML.

Of course it depends how course "objects" are stored.

If stuffed into a SQL database, with content in different large text
fields, other fields should identify some of the attributes of the course
including language, difficulty level, theme, etc.

If treated as a file repository, then an indexing scheme will be required
to read each file for some of it's attributes which would presumably be
present in a header section of some sort like:

<course>
  <head>
     <author>....
     <title>...
     <subtitle>...
     <difficulty>...
  </head>

or the like.

> 	BTW, what is a "human bean" ? That's an awful way for speaking of a
> teacher ;-)
Whoops..I meant "human being"..<grin> Treating this as a symbol, one's
head is also referred to in slang as a "bean", and of course we are all
overly cerebral, right?

Les Richardson