[school-discuss] EduML Retriever and Renderer

For those people that may be interested in getting started programming, and
would like to start participating in these EduML/XML experiments, here is a
place to start.

First, the following is in PHP, a language built to be used in a Web
environment. It is fairly easy to pick up, but also offers some more advanced
abilities, such as some support for object-oriented programming. It also has
many functions stolen from other useful languages, like Perl.

The code allows you to enter a URL somewhere on the Internet that points to an
XML file. The program will retrieve the file (to the server), parse it, and
then redisplay the XML data retrieved.

You can find the program, the test data, and all of the sources, at:

http://dangermouse.brynmawr.edu/xml/

(My next project is to dump my SQL data into an XML format. That should also
make all of this data usable in the Open Knowledge Initiative's content
management system (whenever that is completed).)

-Doug

PS - you can find PHP at http://www.php.net/. That's really all you need
installed to try my code (along with the Apache webserver).

--
Douglas S. Blank,       Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,          (610)526-6501