Re: [school-discuss] National educational file format

Well, I feel better now...

I wrote CAST with this message:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Kyle Hutson, and I am the director of technology for
> a small school district in Kansas. I noticed your efforts to
> create a National File Format from the U.S. Dept. of
> Education's web site
> (http://www.ed.gov/PressReleases/01-2003/01062003.html). As the
> person responsible for my school district's technology budget,
> I would like to voice my concern that the proposed NFF not be
> encumbered by copyright or patent restrictions. Specifically, I
> would like to see the NFF be freely open for any software
> developer to support, free of charge.
>
> The basis of my concern is that if the NFF is based on a
> proprietary format, the vendor of that software program could
> then arbitrarily choose a price, which all schools would be
> forced to pay in order stay compatible with the NFF.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read my comments.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kyle Hutson
> Director of Technology
> Rock Creek School District
> St. George KS

I received the following reply less than an hour later:

While looking through the site (even though I still could not find any reference to the NFF being non-proprietary), I noticed that there is an ANSI/NISO standard for talking books - http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986/ Is there anybody using open-source products that implement this standard (I don't have an immediate need, just curious)?